Classic Butter Chicken
Serves 3 | Prep time: 20mins | Cook time: 25mins
- 2 medium free-range chicken breasts, cubed
- 1tsp ground tumeric
- 1tsp ground nutmeg
- 1tsp chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1tsp fresh ground sea salt
- 1/2tsp garam masala
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- 1/2c organic coconut cream (or organic cream), more if desired
- 1/2c coconut oil (or ghee or organic butter)
- 2tbsp tomato paste, more if desired
- 1 med onion, cubed
- 5-6 med mushrooms, cubed
- Fresh spinach to your liking (optional)
- Corriander for garnish (optional)
- 2 dallops of organic plain yogurt per serve (optional)
- Mix all spices well in a bowl except for the garam masala. Add chicken and coat fully.
- Heat oil in large wok or cast iron frying pan on medium heat. Add onions and garlic and fry until onions just start to soften. Add seasoned chicken and stir well.
- Cook chicken until golden brown then reduce heat to simmer. Add garam masala and mix well. Add tomato paste and coconut cream and mix well until sauce is blended is a golden brown (for more sauce, add more cream and tomato paste to liking). Add mushrooms and stir until fully coated. Let simmer for 10 minutes to cook mushrooms, then add spinach and let simmer until spinach has fully wilted.
- Serve with rice (and/or Naan Bread if you can make it or are lucky enough, like us, to have a local indian restaurant close by!).
- Add 2 dallops of plain yogurt and corriander to each serving if desired.
This recipe doubles perfectly for more servings!
Make this Vegetarian...